Thursday, March 17, 2011

austin's birthday

first off, sorry, i just cannot help myself, but if you know me, then you will understand.  I AM SO PROUD of the birthday cake i made for austin this year.  number one, its a cheesecake, and number two, i have never made a cheesecake from scratch, and number three, i had to mess with the recipe because i didn't have exactly what i needed.  i.e. this type of scenario usually NEVER works out for me. 

Austin loooves caramel delite girl scout cookies so i found an awesome recipe for a caramel delite cake, however, when it was time to make it, there were no caramel delites to be found.  I was desperate.  I even posted a notice on facebook and searched online for some.  Some helpful folks told me that keebler or tollhouse made a knockoff version, so i scoured the grocery stores for those...nothing.  I tried to find some girl scout cookie "retailers" near me, and this is what a found.... http://www.abcsmartcookies.com/boothLocator.asp?cid=177.... i typed in our zip codee, and yep, the closest ones to me were 182 miles away.  boo.  so i improvised!  i bought some coconut (which I toasted), some twix candy bars, and some oreos with chocolate filling.  then i blended all these lovely treats together to create a caramel delite doppleganger.  and it worked!! woohoo.  here is the blessed cake below!  everyone loved it, especially austin, which made this cook's husband's birthday :)  and maybe her day too :) 
and another photo, yes, you better believe I had to place this masterpiece on a schmancy platter!
Austin, sooo excited for his cake. (perhaps an understatement)

AND of course a photo of henry celebrating his dada's birthday with him!  (you didn't think this post could possibly be all about a cake did you?)   
we had a fun and relaxing birthday weekend at home.  we played with henry, ate cake (of course), and homemade pizza too! austin opened his gifts and then we went for a night out on the town while henry played with his gunka and gammy.  upon austin's request we went and saw the movie Battle: Los Angeles.  Hey, it was his birthday after all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment