Saturday, February 27, 2010

the scoop on the poop

so I realized I have neglected to update everyone on Henry's latest bm, and I had quite a few folks ask if he finally did -ha :)   The little guy held out on us for six days!  And when he finally let it all go...let's just say those were very hefty diapers and we took the garbage out right away that day.  But before we plugged up our noses, we breathed a big sigh of relief.  I was getting pretty anxious and was worried that my poor baby was constipated, but he acted completely normal, happily passed gas, and was content.  If you know me, then you know I'm a huge nerd and have to research everything.  When we got to day three of the poop strike, I began frantically searching the web.  I looked up various articles written by pediatricians and lactation consultants that all stated the same thing:  it's completely normal for a breastfed baby to go a long time before having a bowel movement.  As long as baby doesn't fuss and seem constipated, and as long as their poop looks normal when they do go, then they are just fine.  In fact, some have been known to wait two weeks. (I do hope Henry doesn't do that).  One of my friends who only breastfed all three of her babies said one of them only ever went once a week.  It's just not common knowledge since the majority of babies aren't exclusively breastfed -turns out that breastmilk is so easily digested by baby that their bodies just don't create as much waste.  But still....I have never been so happy to see, smell, and clean a little poop-covered butt before.  (As I type this I realize that poor Henry might see this when he gets older and become quite embarrassed)  

No comments:

Post a Comment