Saturday, August 21, 2010

sleepsitting

just so you know, after i finally had things cleaned up the other night, henry puked all over his highchair, and then the rocking chair, so then we had to take both of them apart and clean them as well.....anyway, I won't dwell on the particulars of all that because I have probably already inundated henry's readers with enough details concerning his bodily functions.  (he is allergic to dairy, we discovered a couple months ago, and i bought him some new crackers to try....thinking that crackers wouldn't have milk in them, i didn't scrutinize the label like everything else i buy, and i fed them to my poor baby...who actually really enjoyed them sans side effects.....he must really be allergic to milk to be that sick after eating crackers that "may have traces of milk" in them :(

so, like I said, you can breathe a sigh of relief because this post will not be about vomit.  its about sleeping.

two nights ago, since henry's crib and room was in complete disarray (it was clean, just a mess yet), he slept in his pack-n-play in our bedroom with us.  And, Henry actually slept through the night!!!!--second time that week!  However, I couldn't sleep that well (could it be because I am so used to getting up several times a night...or worried he would throw up more?).  So while I was up I was watching the interesting things that go on with Henry while he sleeps.  This little boy is very active in his sleep. Not only does he toss and turn quite a bit, which I already knew he did, but he sits upright in his sleep!  When I heard some rustling, I peeked over the pack-n-play's edge to see him sitting with his eyes half shut.  I thought great, now he's awake and I'm going to have to put him back to sleep.  He grunted a few times, and then all was quiet.  I peeked again, and he had tipped forward, and, very very awkwardly, fallen back asleep.  When I knew by his breathing that he was really sound asleep, I helped him out a little by readjusting him and covering him back up with the blankie.  We did this several times throughout the night.  So Henry is a sleepsitter?

Because I am a compulsive googler....I googled it.  And found an interesting article that explains that sometimes babies will try to practice their new skills (sitting up, standing, etc.) while they are sleeping because they are so excited about them...really?

Henry's problem is, in all his excitement to sleepsit and whatever else he does, he gets stuck and wakes himself up several times a night.  So we are working on making sure he knows how to get unstuck during the day.  We make a game out of figuring out how to lay back down once we are sitting and standing.  That, and, we got rid of the blanket and wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts to bed to keep cozy since blankie doesn't last long, and he gets twisted up in it.  Combine all of this with two regular naps a day and we are beginning to sleep through the night!!!!!   Hooray!  It took us awhile to get there, but I think that we are finally on to something.  Now....we'll just see what happens when he starts walking....    

No comments:

Post a Comment